Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Aggie Ring Opening

I got on here with the thought of posting about my trip up to Alaska on the ferry from Washington. Who knows, maybe you will get two posts out of me today. But first I have to share about one of those random awesome moments God gives us.

This past Sunday Aaron Brown (Skilled Missions Operations Director) and I volunteered at the Iron Dog booth at the Oxygen and Octane show. We worked the booth, answered questions about merchandise pricing and random Iron Dog questions. One of those interactions speaks to how all of our life, everything we do, and all the challenges we face, God brings together for His glory.

Each year Iron Dog supports a charity with the proceeds of their raffle. This year the charity is the Armed Services YMCA of Alaska. Buddy Whitt is the Executive Director. I was talking with him about a few of the Iron Dog items when he asked me if the ring I had on was an Aggie ring.

Of course the answer is a resounding yes. He is a Fighting Texas Aggie class of 1998.That first question led us into a conversation about why I am in Alaska, what my purpose is and what we do as a ministry. The longer we talked the more we realized several similar goals. His family had worked with Samaritans Purse on construction projects, had discussed whether there where people meeting needs through construction and how they could serve through their gifts and talents. Many of which are construction oriented.

When our conversation ended I realized that the entire conversation, the way I got to meet another person who has a heart for people, and works to better those around him all came from the fact that morning I put on my Aggie ring.

If I had attended Oklahoma State like I wanted to, that conversation never would have occurred. If I had not spent many of my school breaks in Alaska, this conversation would not have occurred. If I had said no to moving to Alaska I would not have had the conversation.

Isn't it crazy how amazing our God is? How no matter how often we think our conversations and actions are our decision alone, God uses them for great and amazing things. When I get discouraged, in a rut, or just don't want to go on, God shows His mighty hand in the small significant ways.


2 comments:

  1. This encounter was awesome Sarah! I didn't realize that you were living in Alaska! (I've been in South Florida for a while and I'm out of the loop!) Hope to see you sometime...I'll be back in Kodiak soon! Love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOOP! Missing AK big time- not to mention my buddies (Aggie and others) there. Love you, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete