Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Lessons

Yesterday I got an email from my Dad telling me that he wanted to hear about Abide.  I know I said I would tell you guys about it.  But, part of me was hoping that I wouldn’t have to think about what to say and in that way hide from what I had been taught, convicted of, and enjoyed.  No matter how good of a weekend it was, I knew in order to appreciate that, I would have to accept the things God taught me.  So, somewhat unconsciously, I decided to just act like last weekend did not happen.  It was easier to hide, instead of looking forward.  
I decided early last week to spend Friday night and Saturday at a prayer retreat kind of thing, called Abide.  We got their late Friday night and after the opening service I went to  the different experiences.  They where rooms set up for a specific purpose.  Their was Confession, Adoration, the Ends of the Earth, Judea-the lost, Supplication-standing in the gap, Thanksgiving, Jerusalem-Texas campuses, a place for fellowship, and a room where you could create something.  As I looked at the list of all these places I could go, I had a sense that I had to get myself right with God before I could ever begin to be in fellowship with Him.  So after spending about two hours clearing my heart and mind so I could be free I felt tired, like I wanted to go sleep before I entered what I was hoping would be a day full of praise, worship, love, and fellowship.
The next morning I woke up early did my Bible study and then walked down to the lake.  As I stood there looking at the lake, in the cool morning air, thinking about how I was given a new beautiful morning.  I thought of all the times God has given me a second chance.  It happens everyday, yet I rarely stop to say thanks.  Saturday morning opened my eyes and heart to being grateful for what Christ has given me.  I spent a lot of time writing in my journal, one of the things I remember that stood out to me the most happened when I was in the Adoration room.
While in their the people that had set up the room asked us to think about what adoration meant to me.  As I thought about that a picture appeared in my mind.  It was a picture of a newly married couple, ones that when they looked at each other everyone around them knew that they where totally in love with each other.  That when they are apart their spouse is all they can think about, they tell everyone around them about the love of their life.  I was hit with how that should be how I am with Christ.  Everyone should be able to tell by looking at me that  I am in love with Christ.  I should want to tell everyone I see that Jesus is my hero, that he is my all.  When I am not talking to Him, I should be thinking about him.  When I sit in class, I shouldn’t be able to concentrate on my professor, I should be thinking about when I get to be with Christ.  The one word that kept coming to my mind was consuming.  I should be consumed with Christ.  
So know I have been forced to look back on those two days and see what God taught me.  I needed the prompting of my Dad to open up and apply what I was taught.  So thanks Dad, I love you and thanks for the encouragement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment