Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Hero

I know you guys are anticipating a post about my time in Nome and I promise that will come, maybe even today.  But right now I want to take time to tell you about my hero.

This last weekend, right after my Math test Friday drove back to Perryton for the weekend so I could share about my trip to Nome.  I loved my time at home, however brief it was and Sunday after lunch I was back in the car to head back here. I was rockin and  rollin until I got to Childress, and when I got there, my car just decided to quit.  I pulled over, thinking I would let it cool, then continue on.  After many different attempts to start it, get help starting it, and finally giving up.  The decision was made for Dad to bring me the Toyota, and take the Honda back to Perryton.

Why this post is supposed to be about my hero, is because, I discovered, while verbally journaling on the way home, and the fact that he drove over three hours to rescue me, how awesome my Dad is.  He was supposed to be reporting to church about his trip to Nashville.  The trip he took with the rest of our family, instead he is in the pickup coming to save me.  I know he always would have done it, but it was really big for me at that moment. 

I have always loved my dad, been fairly close to him, and known how awesome he was.  But a year ago that was even more obvious as we traveled to Alaska together.  While there is a lot I could say about that, basically, when multiple people tell you in one week, often in the same day how blessed you are to have the dad you do.  You sit up and take notice.  And I did, so that week will always be one of my most treasured memories out of my entire life.  Then when Mom and Dad went to Alaska for their anniversary, they both shared with me how everywhere they looked, they knew I would love it there.  They also set me on a journey to spend a summer ministering in Alaska.

When I got the email telling me I was appointed to a summer long, trip to Alaska, I called my Mom, she didn't answer so I called Dad.  When I told him where I could go, I remember him saying something along the lines of "your going to love it, you will do awesome, that is great."  After he said that I told him, I hadn't even read the email yet, much less thought or prayed about it.  His response was basically telling me he had no doubt where I would be this summer. 

This weekend, as I was talking my thoughts out, I realized that my dad knew if I accepted this position I wouldn't be around to help him this summer.  He knew it would make his summer more difficult, and would make the summer more difficult on everyone.  But, what I realized was Dad could have when I called him, challenged me to think about being in Perryton, he could have told me I needed to be double, and triple certain this was where God had me.  But he didn't, he just said go. 

In that moment, he showed me his unending love for me.  While I never had a doubt I would be supported if I went to Alaska for the summer, this no hesitation, blessing was huge for me.  I told Dad this weekend what it meant to me.  He knows, but I want everyone else to know as well, if your in my family tell Dad thanks.  He deserves it.  If you see him, give him a hug for me.  Being 600 miles away makes that difficult for me.

I know this verse is referring to mothers, but I think it fits, "Her children arise and call her blessed;"
I love you Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment