Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Nome, Alaska

So I am not really sure what to write about.  My trip to Nome was so awesome and yet so radically diffrent from last year I am still processing a little bit.  A lot happened, I did some awesome and amazing things, and I learned a whole heeping lot about myself.

If I could describe this trip in one word it would be relationships.  I got to spend a lot of time hanging out with people, talking to them, beinging challeneged, and hopefully an encouragment to them.  So I am going to share a few stories of some of the people I got to serve next to. 


Caroline and I at the finish line
I met Caroline last year in Nome, she is one awesome young lady.  When I saw her for the first time this year, I grabbed her shoulders and just looked at her, it took her a few seconds, but then she screamed "Sarah, I didn't know you were coming."  That one moment with her would have been worth my whole trip.  But that wasn't the end, on the day of the finish we spend a couple of hours, just the two of us.  We watched Baker win, played on the Bering Sea, at candy, and my favorite, skipped down Front Street.  I love this girl, and to be able to see her some over the summer is going to be such a huge blessing.
Cheryl and I at the Concession Stand
Cheryl is Carolines mom, and its easy to see why Caroline is as awesome as she is.  Cheryl has been such a reminder of how with God's help we can do anything.  Cheryl and Candy (who I don't have a picture with :( 
work in the Concession Stand everyday from Sunday to Saturday, often 14 or more hours each day.  Cheryl is one lady I am proud to know and maybe one day I can be half as awesome as she is. 

James, Nathan, and I
James and Nathan are two boys from Nome that I had the privilage of spending some time with.  One of my favorite memories with them is walking from the minnie back to the church.  It took us a good 30 minutes to make a walk that should take about seven.  But we had to stop to play in the snow bank, take pictures under the arch, slide down the hill in the parking lot, and basically laugh and play our way back to the church.  These boys are awesome and I can't wait for the day when they are changing the world.

Lisa and Kirsten
I don't know what to say about these two women.  I grew up with both of them, but until recently didn't relize how totally super awesom and amazing they are.  Both of them have such a huge heart for God and those around them it amazes me.  One of the greatest parts about this trip was seeing them fall in love with the people of Nome and go out of their way to serve them.  It blessed me in ways they probably don't even know.  I love these two girls, and can't wait to see where God sends them next.  But I am putting my money on Alaska for both of them. 

Linzey and I
How do you tell the world about someone who has come beside you, encouraged you, laughed at/with you, and made you relize how great a God we serve?  I don't know but that is just a little of what Linzey has done for me.  I had the amazing opportunity to hang out with this girl nearly everyday.  And everyday was better than the one before.  I met her last year and loved her then, but now I can't imagine my life without her there.  She helped me to see some things I need to work on, helped me in some of the struggles I had while in Nome.  And overall was a sounding board for me when everything else was weighing down on me.  Linzey was a huge blessing to me while we where in Nome.  But the most awesome thing (besides the fact she is Linz) is that I can still call her, and even see her if I need to, because God has placed us near each other in our daily lives. 

Daniel, Me, and Caroline at the finish
The whole week was a ton of fun, I don't have pictures of everyone I got to know and work with, but the few above give you a little glimps into the awesome week I had.  I am so blessed with the friends and family I have, and this week in Nome just made that circle bigger.

All of these pictures represent special people in my life, and many memories.  I hope you enjoyed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment